Our school will be closed tomorrow, September 30th, 2021, in observance of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Please be sure to take some time to consider why this is more than just a day off from school. Learn more about what “Truth and Reconciliation” means. Learn more about the history of the residential schools system and the horror of its legacy, the effects of which are still felt in Canada now and will be into the foreseeable future.
Listen to Phyllis Webstad tell her story, learn more about residential schools, the history of Orange Shirt Day, and the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
Education is a vital piece in the pursuit of Truth and Reconciliation. Here are links to just some of the many online resources that are available so that you can learn more.
Find out more:
- Government of Canada: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission
- National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
- Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre (IRSHDC) at UBC
- Orange Shirt Society
- Indian Residential Schools Survivors Society
- Legacy of Hope
- CBC News: National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- The Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund
- Surrey Schools